[ic] How-To for "LEFTONLY_TOP" background color?

Andrew Lietzow interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 09:45:00 2002

Thank you Rene, Paul, Stefan (Racke) and Aaron,

Your collective recommendations worked!   (BTW, one does not have to "Apply
Changes" for this to work, i.e. edits to the *.TOP files take effect
immediately, with a simple refresh of the browser).

> > 1) In theme.cfg, I created a new variable called
> > __TOPCONTENT_BG__ and set the value to #738C8C
> > (the shade of green that I'm wanting to use).
> >
> > 2) I also copied the class .maincontent and created on just about
> > it called
> > .topcontent.  Saved the file.
>1) Are you editing the correct theme.cfg file? Check that the STYLE-variable
>(Administration -> Preferences-> Template) is the same name as the directory
>the theme.cfg you are editing is.
-------
Yes.  I was editing the correct theme.cfg file.

>2) I suppose that you are editing the correct region-files, in the correct
>directory. All changes you make should be visible right after each time you
>save that file..

Yes. These I had correct as well.

>3) Did you do this in the theme.cfg?
>
>Variable TOPCONTENT_BG   #738C8C
>
>.topcontent {
>   background-color: __TOPCONTENT_BG__;
>   color: __MAINCONTENT_TEXT__;
>   font-family: __MAINCONTENT_FONT__;
>   font-weight: __MAINCONTENT_WEIGHT__;
>   font-size: __MAINCONTENT_FONTSIZE__;
>}
----------
Yes.  This is exactly as I did it and exactly as Racke had recommended.

>4) Have you checked in the design-editor that you have the correct
>page-template selected (Content -> index.html)?
-----
Had not checked it but I was selecting the correct pages/index.html file

>5) Did you put the class=topcontent in the correct place? Change the border
>(border=1) in that table you want to modify. This way you can check that you
>are editing the correct table.
---------------
Rene - this really did help.  It confirmed that I was working on the
correct file, and it
also allowed me to recognize that LEFTONLY_TOP must be used in another
circumstance
than with index.html.  It is the LEFTRIGHT_TOP file that is being loaded by
the cgi-bin script,
which is generating a dynamic index.html.

What I discovered?   I changed the following at the top "logos" section":
class="maincontent" I changed to class="topcontent"
AND I added
background="__TOPCONTENT_BG__" to the td statements.

Don't know why I had to add/change both options.   Seems like one OR the
other should
work and that the class="topcontent" may be doing absolutely
nothing.  However, it does
not appear to be harming anything, so I am leaving it there.  :-)

>I built yesterday completely new theme, and I'm sure these steps should
>work. First I had the same problems you had, but then I figured out that I
>forgot to specify a new "style" in the variable-dir (I created a new dir
>under the templates directory)
--------------
This part I did not take a look at.  I'm still crawling and only started to
lift myself up
at the edge of a coffee table.  I'm not quite ready to "wack at it a bit",
as Paul recommended,
as I only kind of know that UI may mean User Interface.  Where that is and
how you
get to it.... well, that may be next week's lesson...

Now, on to importing products and getting the mySQL interface figured out!
Thanks to each of you!

Andrew Lietzow
A newer member of the GNU generation
The ACL Group, Inc.