[ic] I would need some ideas in how to accomplish this multilingual project

Rene Hertell interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 10:12:01 2002

Hi list,

I would need some advice or ideas in how to implement this...

I'm starting to develop a multilingual site for our national
sport-federation. The site would be containing news, time-schedules for
courses and competitions, results from competitions, contact-lists,
registration pages for competitors and organizers etc.. It should later
contain a small shopping cart that would sell merchandise, books etc.

I have also a few goals in how everything should look:

- The URL should be as "clean" as possible. It should not contain any
session-id:s counters etc.
- Everything except the templates, images, binaries etc. should be pulled
from a database
- Minimal use of cookies etc.
- The older content should be cacheable by proxies (news-pages etc). I guess
that by manipulating the Last-Modified tag would probably do the trick
- The URL should be somehow standard in each language, like this
  www.site.com/[L]competitions[/L]/2000/[L]results[/L]
  www.site.com/[L]news[/L]/1999/[L]December[/L]
  www.site.com/[L]news[/L]/[L]latest[/L]
  (what I mean with the [L]-tags is that these parts of the URL should be in
respective language)
- The maintenance of the content (bulletins, news) should be either
controllable by a web-interface (or by maintaining a local database that
would upload a tab-delimited file with fresh content...)

The most desired thing would be that I could use the same physical html-page
for all languages.

For the moment this seems to be quite a nightmare to accomplish, but I'm
(for the moment) an optimist, and I'll try carry out as many of my own
wishes as possible..

All ideas are really much appreciated!

Regards, René