[ic] A couple of questions from a new user

Andrew Lietzow interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 13:12:00 2002

>Steve wrote,
>e:>>Any pointers on how to get started appreciated!

Wow.  You've progressed rather quickly, I'd say.  Sounds like the RPM method
would have worked better for me, if I hadn't been trying to span two
servers.  I could
have been a lot further along (which at this point is barely ahead of
you!).  Of course,
I wouldn't have understood as much about what is "under the hood" either...

Since you're doing so well, to most of your questions I'd say keep looking for
answers at the IC site.  Use and search the Mailing List archives.  Use the
reference guides
and work through the tutorial.  You might want to purchase some RH Guides,
(see
http://www.redhat.com/services/consulting/web_infra/interchangedocs.html )
though
a couple of the models seem to be out-of-stock.

One thing that I found real helpful was to slow down a bit and try to use a
more methodical
approach because there is a lot more power here than meets the eye. Because
the industry
is very young, point and click solutions are not readily available.  There
seems to be a trade
off.  Everything comes together eventually, but if you're getting it for
free, there seems to be
a steep learning curve.  You may want to know some HTML, Perl, cgi,
possibly C++, and
some ITL (interchange tag language), but I don't believe it is a
prerequisite to downloading
the program.  If you already know these, you'll be way ahead of the game.

Long before that, however, try logging in as
Login name: interch
password: pass
Then select administration and then "Wizard" off the menu bar.  This will
take you down the
road a piece...

Change the password under Access.  Then, party on...

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.
A newer member of the GNU generation