[ic] problems with freebsd

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue May 7 18:40:00 2002

"Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 06:04 , Paul Cauberg wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can?t manage to get interchange working on freebsd 4.4 I?ve done
> > several installations on debian before without problems. I?m looking for
> > someone who can help install on our system in return for a fee. Please
> > contact me at paul@cauberg.nl
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Check the archives for this list.  There are notes there on some simple
> FreeBSD things to do to get it running.  Has to do with some Perl probs
> on FreeBSD.

And some informations too...

per default, FreeBSD has
1)
Perl Version 5.005
2)
./configure will call the cpan to fetch all needed perl module for IC,
but there are some trouble with the old cpan module for Perl 5.005
3)
IC runs very well with Perl 5.6

The best way is,

- install Perl 5.6 into /usr/local/bin (instead of /usr/bin),
  from ports, which is the default by the Makefile from the ports.
  After that, use this cpan module for this perl version into
  another path and do not use the same directory of cpan for the
  Perl Version 5.005
  (see down)

I've

#cpan

-------- snip -----------
cpan> o conf
CPAN::Config options from /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/CPAN/Config.pm:
    build_dir          /home/tmp/.cpan5005/build
    cpan_home          /home/tmp/.cpan5005
    keep_source_where  /home/tmp/.cpan5005/sources
-------- snip -----------

and

cpan5.6 in /usr/bin, wich is looking like

-------- snip -----------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

eval 'exec /usr/local/bin/perl  -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
    if 0; # not running under some shell

use CPAN;
shell;
-------- snip -----------

and in cpan5.6, I've

-------- snip -----------
cpan> o conf
CPAN::Config options from /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/CPAN/Config.pm:
    build_dir          /home/tmp/.cpan561/build
    cpan_home          /home/tmp/.cpan561
    keep_source_where  /home/tmp/.cpan561/sources
-------- snip -----------

Use

- /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL to create the Makefile
  of Interchange
  (if it exist, remove it...but you have to restore your oldest Perl
5.005)
  It creates a Makefile for the make program and use the path for Perl
5.6 and his libs
- use make, make test, make install and make clean

Good lucks!

ciao

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[leidinger@bpanet.de]