[ic] Proper method of posting images?

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri May 10 12:57:00 2002

> -----Origi
> > Okay.  I take the bait, Dan.  What is the 'convert' program?
> >
> > BTW, what I would want to do with a thumbnail converter is basically
> > identical to what KDE (2.2.1) Konqueror does when you access a
> file folder
> > full of GIF's or JPG's--it creates little pictures (thumbnails)
> on the fly.
> > Unfortunately, I have to say that Mike Heins is correct in that
> doing this
> > would probably slow the process down entirely too much--people
> would get
> > frustrated, click stop and be gone... Not so good....
> >
> > So, I either need to create and save all of the thumbnails into
> 80x80 files
> > OR just not have thumbnails.  I'll try it both ways and see how
> responsive it
> > is.
> >

> Create the thumbnails when you upload the images or use a script outside
> ic to do it periodically.  Or both.  Keep image sizes in your database
> so your can render image tags correctly.

Or use Image::Size to deliver the size of the images. I don't think this
would cause too much of a performance problem. I knocked up a usertag to
return the size in to two scratch vars. Mind you, I was then storing them in
a database rather than using it on the fly. Docs say its suitable for that
though.

Jonathan
Webmaint.