[ic] db comparisons

Mon May 27 21:06:01 2002

Quoting Dan Browning (dbml@kavod.com):
> At 03:59 PM 5/27/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages are for a catalog
> > > to use the interchange internal databse instead of mysql or another sql
> > > db?
> > >
> > > We've been using mysql without any major issues coming up, just was
> > > curious if anyone knew the differences.
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> >There are others on the list who can, and hopefully will, give more specific
> >technical and performance reasons for using GDBM vs. relational db like
> >Postgres or MySQL. I have sites running great with GDBM and Postgres.
> >Because I have worked extensively with SQL, I personally find using Postgres
> >(or MySQL) easier and more flexible for customizing.
> >
> >If you are already familiar with and using MySQL, I think it would be a good
> >path to take.
> >
> >Mike Clark
>
> Yes, a SQL database will be faster, more scalable.  Be sure to index your db.

Yes.

The primary advantage of Interchange's internal DB is simplicity and
convenience for initial installation. You can edit the file and see the
changes, and upload a spreadsheet export to change the data. The "Import
Data" functions of IC make that more practical with SQL these days.

I always recommend that the tables userdb, transactions, and orderline
-- basically any customer-updated table -- be in a SQL database. The
other tables are not nearly as important.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting

How far can you open your mind before your brains fall out?