[ic] question on mod_interchange socket closing (different from previous question)

Jeff Dafoe interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Nov 3 11:49:01 2002

> The trouble is that you will not know that you have the entire response
> until you read zero bytes on a request.  If you ask for 8k and receive
> 8k there may be more to come.  Also, if you ask for 8k and receive 4k
> then there may be more to come.

    Yes, in my excitement I did seem to forget how a socket operates.  I
guess it would be better to sit in a loop of ic_select calls.  As each
ic_select returns with received bytes those bytes are moved into our buffer.
If ic_select returns 0, a total of 8k has come in, or a "wait for all ic
data" timeout value occurs then exit the loop.

> Well, that's the idea.  Mod_interchange also has failover support for
> clustered environments, allowing Interchange to be taken offline on one
> machine while still allowing mod_interchange, on the same machine, to
> process requests via another machine.  It's not a lot of use, except if
> Interchange fails for some reason, but it's a start.

    Yes, the failover support is something I noticed and it's definitely a
great idea.

Jeff