[ic] How to build product categories?

Gerry Kirk interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 4 15:14:18 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 14:00, Grant wrote:

> I don't tie into the UI for my category display so I'm not sure about how to
> get that working with three levels of categories, but you can use an unused
> field in your products database for "brand", or add a new field simply by
> adding it to the txt file.  Be sure you use the tabs correctly.

Thanks, Grant. I'm surprised there aren't some companies using more than
2 levels, and that brand isn't a standard field. Walmart uses a
Yahoo-like approach for browsing, and there can be 5-6 levels. Not many
companies have that expansive a product listing, but I would think 3-4
levels isn't that uncommon.

How do you categorize products on your UI?

There doesn't appear to be any direction relation between product group
and category, from what I can see. A product can have any group /
category combination, correct?

- Gerry

--
Gerry Kirk