[ic] adding tracking number to ship_notice email

Michael Goldfarb interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Nov 6 14:48:41 2002

>What would be the best way to add the tracking number for a shipment to
the
>ship_notice email?  I'm thinking something like adding a field to
certain
>tables, and then adding the ability to edit that field from the UI.  If
>that's the way to do it, what tables would I need to add the
>"tracking_number" field to and how could I add the ability to update
that
>field from the order_detail page in the UI?
>
>- Grant

It is really funny that you just posted this. I just added this for a
client yesterday :)

The way I did it was to add a column to the transactions table (I named
it tracking_no).

Then I just added this line to ship_notice (this is for FedEx, but you
get the idea):

[query sql="select tracking_no from transactions where code =
'[loop-code]'" list=1]
You can track your shipment at FedEx's web site by going to this URL:
http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/tracking?action=track&language=english&cntr
y_code=us&initial=x&mps=y&tracknumbers=[sql-pos 0]
[/query]

I couldn't quite figure out how to alter order_status to update the
table, so I just created an intermediary page my client goes to to enter
the tracking number and then I pass them to the order_status page where
I have another table row showing the tracking number that was entered
previously.

Hope that helps.