[ic] Date widget default

paul jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 11 11:55:01 2002

Hi all

Does anyone know a work around for the date widget WRT a blank entry??

It seems it defaults to today's date, well, not only is this not a
"unknown date" but it will save as today's date when edited (i.e.,
table-editor)

I added UI_DATE_BEGIN and UI_DATE_END to 1900 and 2010 respectively. It
is for storage of birthdays and anniversaries. that go back to around
1910.

I put the begin date at 1900, so I could use the year 1900 as the flag
for "year unknown", which is kind of a cheesy hack.

The Problem lies when we have a client, and we don't know their, let's
say, birth date at all... So, we have a blank entry for that column
(which is normal), but upon utilizing the date widget, it WILL show a
date, and this can be confusing, not to mention the above problem with
table editor. I don't want to kill the widget of no date is found,
because there may be a point in time we will get the date from them.

I suppose if I could add defaults of 0000 00 and 00 for the three
selects that make up the date widget, would be sufficient... and have
them always be available for entering and/or changing a/part date to
0000 (as in "unknown")

Sometimes we have the month and day but no year, and sometimes we only
know the year.

If there is a way to extend this in meta, I do not know the syntax for a
three in one date select date widget.

I would think the date widget should also handle "no date" and "partial
no date" as well, or do I misunderstand something? No date and a partial
date are still useful, at least for us.

I was thinking maybe I can default the column to 00000000 or --------
then I would like, if there is no date for a person to show [0000] [00]
[00] or [----] [--] [--] and have the ability for IC to be copasetic
with just [----] [05] [07] ..... or [1971] [05] [--]

Any Ideas? Where would I handle this? in meta?

TIA

Paul