[ic] Some emails can't be sent - could this be why ? LOG DATA

Brandon Mercer interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Nov 15 08:12:00 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 07:48, DB wrote:

> Now during the time that order 1 was placed, /var/log/messages shows
> alot of "lame server" entries. By "alot" I mean like 8 during the same
> second. This did not happen during order 2. Perhaps these are slowing
Are you running BIND or a similar creature on this server as well?
Maybe that might be a monster to check out.  Here's a quote from a FAQ I
found:
What are these "lame server" errors in my logs?
A "lame server" is a server that does not believe is it
authoritative for a domain which has been delegated to
it. The "lame server" messages can be useful if you have
the lame server, or are a domain delegated to the lame
server. If you would rather not see the "lame server"
messages, you can discard them using the logging
statement:

logging {
                  category lame-servers{ null; };
              };

BTW, I don't think increasing the timeout would be the "proper"
solution.  That's like putting more oil in a car with a hole in the
bottom.... :-/
Brandon