[ic] StaticFly

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 25 23:07:01 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:49:34PM -0700, Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:
> Grant wrote:

> >>generate a

> >>I'm just a little curious as to when or why someone would ever do this.
> >>If you have a small database, the flypage load would be minimal and if
> >>you had a giant database, the management of the flypages would be
> >>incredibly hard to handle, would it not?
> >>

> >I used to think the same thing.  However, I've got a cross selling system
> >on
> >my flypages that checks the "keywords" field for that product against the
> >keywords field for every other product and displays the cross sells based
> >on
> >the results.  Because of that, my flypages take 7-8 seconds to load.
> >Static
> >flypages would fix this, but now I'm thinking that isn't the best solution.
> >I'm thinking I need something to periodically (daily) run through that
> >keyword matching for every product in the products database and write each
> >set of results to a field for each product.  That way I won't have to run
> >through that search and evaluation every time a flypage is loaded.  I guess
> >the best way to do that would be with a cron and a series of loops and data
> >tag?  Can the default database handle something like that for about 225
> >products?  If each item takes 7 seconds, 225 items would take about 26
> >minutes....

Yeesh, that's the sort of logic I'd expect at Homeland Security.  More
resources, more horsepower, less consideration.

You have done something remarkable to make it that **bad**.  225 items
in 26 minutes.  ASTOUNDING.  Why not just fax them your catalog!?  No,
telegraph it. (Does telegraph still exist?)

Sub it out.