[ic] newbie checkout question: mandatory shipping address

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Nov 27 14:15:59 2002

Michael Goldfarb wrote:

>>Esteemed ic-guys:
>>
>> This must be a pretty easy one and doubtless well documented but I've
>>trawled the archived and rtfm with no joy.
>>
>> I'm doing a site where the shipping and delivery addresses must both
>>be entered and I can't figure out how to insist the user enters both.
>>I've copied code of this sort:

>>	      <b>First Name</b>
>>	      <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=b_fname VALUE="[value b_fname]"
>>size="20" maxlength="20">
>>	      <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=b_lname VALUE="[value b_lname]"
>>size="20">
>>
>> to replace the collection of the billing address in the foundation
>>code (this is cribbed from the code that collect the shipping info) but
>>it doesn't complain if the input field is blank.
>>
>> My guess is that somewhere there lurks something that tells IC what
>>needs checking here but I can't find it. Help greatly appreciated.
>>

>Take a look at etc/profiles.order to see how required fields are
>handled.
>
>For instance, let's say you wanted something labeled Delivery Address to
>be required whose associated form field name was "d_address".
>
>Here would be your steps.
>
>1. Add something like this for the label of the field:
>[error name=d_address std_label="Delivery Address" required=1]
>
>2. Give it a form field like:
><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=d_address size="20">
>
>3. Make this entry into the proper place in profiles.order:
>d_address=required
>
>4. I think you need to restart IC, but I cannot remember.

One problem I encountered with this process a couple months ago was that
while in the account page, if the first half was completed and the
person attempted to save the page without completing the second portion,
the errors would be presented but nothing would stop them from leaving
that page with the account 'partially' setup.  Later, they would start
checking out with an incomplete profile and in our case, this problem
was compounded because we do not allow the users profile to be altered
during the checkout phase, so there wasn't the 'second' chance to
revalidate the profile.

I couldn't find another way of dealing with that, so we just inserted
manual field validations on entry into the checkout page and if
mandetory fields were blank, the page was bounced to the accounts page.
 Anyone else have this same problem and found a 'cleaner' method of
handling it?

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028