[ic] strange component error

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Nov 30 12:07:00 2002

I'm running into some weirdness with the components on
various pages.  I didn't see any editor to edit the
components in the admin so I have been editing them
manually.  I'm only changing the html in the
components so it goes with my site look.  And I
haven't added any new components, yet.  But, when I go
into the page editor and edit pages, all sorts of
strange things happen.  The biggest thing I'm noticing
is that on some of the pages, in the page editor it
shows spaces for say four components.  But when I go
into the actual html for the template it shows six or
seven control-set entries.

Basically I have one template for the entire site that
I want to use, it's the LEFTRIGHT one.  I've changed
all the pages to use that template, at least I think
I've gotten them all.

First question, I have interchange itself installed at
/usr/local/interchange and the catalogs at
/var/interchange/catalogs.  Where should I be editing
the templates, just to make sure.

Second question, if I change the components in the
LEFTRIGHT template, does that mess up everything else,
ie if I delete one, add one, etc?

Third question, if I have five components in the
LEFTRIGHT template, should I only have those same five
listed in the various page templates such as index and
browse and results?  Or can I have more or less than
5?  I'm assuming I can only have 5 because that's all
that is accounted for in the LEFTRIGHT template but
that I can mix and match (or why would I have them
listed in the page editor?).

I've checked the list and someone mentioned something
about a bad component, and the only reply was a thanks
for pointing me in the right direction, but I'm lost.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thx.