[ic] Large IC site and precise photo representation

Michael Stearne interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 8 13:20:01 2002

Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:

> This is more directed to the larger IC sites, but basically, do you
> receive a lot of grief for not having a precise photographic
> representation for each of your products?  Asked differently, if you
> have tens of thousands of products, do you actually have a unique and
> specific photo for each of those and if not, how have you managed to
> avoid the flack of folks complaining about it not being 'precisely'
> the same?
>
> We sell electronic components and out of the dozen of extremely
> positive customer comments we have received, we had one person whine
> about the fact that the connectors on the picture didn't actually
> match the product specification.  Obviously the owner is reacting to
> the one single comment rather than the volume of positive ones, but
> realistically we cannot possibly photograph, photo-edit, and place
> images for 22,000 parts.

It's not up to whether you can realistically photograph all of those
images, it more a question of if the owner wants to pay for it.  You can
always find an outside photographer that will do this if the owner is
willing to pay.  It's not up to you its up to them.

But like Paul suggested, a cheap digital camera, FireWire (for speed) or
USB card reader and some AppleScripting of Graphic Converter
(http://www.lemkesoft.com/us_scripts.html) would be a very cheap/fast
way to do this.  Taking the pictures would be the largest amount of time.

Michael