[ic] Relationships of Area.txt and Cat.txt

Schuyler Langdon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 9 17:12:01 2002

Chirs B wrote:
"Can someone kindly explain the relationship between CODE and SEL of the
Area.txt and the Cat.txt.  As far as this goes, I think this is my problem
on the left hand side navigation.

In the Cat.txt... These are my 3 rows (the first two should appear under
BRAS and the 3rd should be under PANTIES on the left hand navigation ( I am
also assuming that SEL will dictate what PROD_GROUP these will go under ­ am
I wrong?))

code    sel    name                        sort    display_type    link_type
selector
63       48    Seamless Demi Bras     5       name                simple
category=Seamless Bras
62       48    Demi Cup Bras              5       name                simple
category=Demi Cup Bras
61       51    Second Skin Hipsters    5       name                simple
category=Briefs

In the Area.txt... These are my 4 rows (showing the top and left for BRAS
and top and left for PANTIES)
code    sel     name    which_page    sort    display_type    link_type
tab                 search            selector
50        left    Panties      all                 5           name
products         tf=category    prod_group=Panties
51        top    Panties      all                 5           name
simple      products         tf=category    prod_group=Panties
48        left    Bras           all                 5           name
products         tf=category    prod_group=Bras
49        top    Bras           all                 5           name
simple      products         tf=category    prod_group=Bras

In the area.txt, under SEL, does the left determine that this category is
UNDER a group and TOP is a Group?  If so, I would want to place a link_type
on the ones that are LEFT, right?  Is simple the type of link I want? I want
it to link to all the items in that category.

I am very confused at this point.  I have read what was on
www.interchange.rtfm.info for what the table does, but I got more confused
without clear examples."

I'm pretty sure "sel" in the "cat" table relates to the primary key, "code"
in the area table. I think it can also take more than one value if it is
"space delimited". From your example, the "Second Skin Hipsters" sel field
should be "50" which relates to the left Panties or to cover both top and
left you can set it to "50 51". You could also do this rather easily through
the admin UI using the "Layout Editor" which is under the "Design" Menu item
(highlight the area in question and click on the icon that looks like two
sheets of paper).

--
Schuyler Langdon
GatorDev