[ic] relatively easy way to double performance

Schuyler Langdon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 31 11:57:01 2002

Jeff Dafoe wrote
>     Just screwing around today, reading up on some of the performance
stuff
> posted by Mike in the past.  Based on this, I did a test.  If I modify the
> default results.html page to use PREFIX-param (which translates to
> item-param in the results.html) and then modify my searches to use
> rf=sku,category,prod_group,thumb,description,inactive,price I am able to
> double the performance of the default results page according to the
results
> returned by ab with a concurrency level of 10 and 50 total requests.  This
> is a relatively easy modification to make (it took me 3 minutes) to gain
> such a substantial performance increase.
>
> Jeff

Thanks for posting this suggestion. I tried it out and there was no
detectable performance gain (for a single request measured by the benchmark
tag). But I had a couple calc tags in the loop, which I changed to item-calc
as suggested in "Tips and Tricks -- optimizing lists" and amazingly enough
there was a two-fold performance increase. I did the comparison again, and
there was a slight performance increase with the item-param even with a
single connection.

About the text file search performance -- I imagine the text file is loaded
into memory? I wouldn't imagine there would be any kind of performance if it
were scanning a large file from disk every search.

--
Schuyler Langdon
GatorDev