[ic] how to turn off session id use only cookies

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Sep 5 07:44:03 2002

Quoting Philip S. Hempel (pshempel@linuxhardcore.com):
> My business is driven mostly by search engines. We used
> to have a brick an mortar store until two years ago (fire completly
> destroyed the business). Since then we have had to depend on the web
> for our income (I know bad idea). I have been using IC for around three
> years and It has worked out very well. Until recently I never gave
> thought to this whole thing of why I keep hearing "My God your store is
> great, it just took me hours to find it!".
>

> Thanks for letting me spout.

The best strategy I have seen for search engines Interchange does
really, really, well.

That is to create the special page CFM mentioned, with all of
your products on it. One link per product, just the links,
nothing fancy.

Then generate multiple versions of the page for each product, with a
different <title> for each with different combinations of keywords. Make
all the links on that page a robot exclusion link in robots.txt.

I don't know the algorithms they use these days, but in the old
days (oxymoron in the web?) just about the highest weight was given
to finding your search term in the <TITLE> of the page.

We placed hundreds of products anywhere from 1 to 3 on Altavista
and Lycos with that strategy....of course Google's reference counting
is completely different.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems tend to look
like nails.  -- Abraham Maslow