[ic] to Mike Heins: mv_tmp_session?

Grant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Sep 6 15:46:01 2002

>> I want to make sure I understand what mv_tmp_session will do.  If I
>> understand you from a previous thread correctly, it will disallow id= and
>> mv_pc= in the URL and store all session information in a cookie?  Will
page
>> caching be a problem at that point?  Will mv_pc=abc still be able to be
used
>> to record [data session source]?
>
>  ( NOTE: I don't like messages without context, because they usually raise
>  questions. In this case, whether you have read and acknowledged that this
>  is 4.9 only. )
>
>  I suggest you read the message I posted, which says that no session is
written
>  to disk at all. Therefore there is obviously no way Interchange can
record
>  anything about source in the way you seem to think might be possible.
>
>  Nothing says you couldn't set a *cookie*, though, that you could later
>  retrieve to get a source.

I apologize if my questions seem stupid.  I am definitely a beginner.  I'm
trying to figure out three things:

#1: Will mv_tmp_session solve my search engine indexing problems when 4.9
comes out or should I start digging into one of the other solutions that has
been mentioned?  It WILL solve those problems if it keeps id= and mv_pc=
from being generated into the URL.  Is that the case?

#2: Will using mv_tmp_session still allow me to set [data session source] to
a variable, evaluate the variable, and then set [data session source] to a
cookie?

#3: Also, will the absence of mv_pc=### in the URL cause any problems as far
as page caching?  For example: with a single user, would an item displayed
as In Stock still be displayed as In Stock later on when it is Out of Stock?

If I can figure these three things out, I will be able to make an informed
decision about my search engine indexing dilemna.  Thank you!

- Grant