[ic] MOD_REWRITE and query strings

Jeff Dafoe interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Sep 7 13:12:01 2002

> Has anyone considered using MOD_REWRITE to just strip out everything after
> and including the "?" in the URL?  My site only uses query strings for the
> mv_session_id and mv_pc.  Would this be a bad idea for any reason?  I
guess
> this would disable page caching.  Do I need that feature on my frame-less
> store?  If this is OK, it may be the perfect solutin for me....

    I thought about that the other day but then realized that it doesn't
help the issue any.  The problem is apparently that some spiders (I don't
know which ones because google will) will not traverse links with question
marks in them.  By using mod_rewrite you can change what appears in the
address bar but you cannot change the HTML that is being output, which is
where the ? and subsequent session information appear.  So the first time
the spider follows a link and is assigned a session ID, the next page to
appear will have the session ID appended to all the appropriate links.
mod_rewrite will not change this behavior.
    The way to approach this would probably be modifications to
interchange's session management and it sounds like Mike already has some
sort of solution for interchange 4.9 .

Jeff