[ic] Tax Problems

Lyn St George interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 24 09:48:01 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:08:59 +0100, Mark Bryant wrote:

>Hi to all you IC gurus out there :o)
>
>I'm setting interchange up to work in a UK/GB shopping environment, but
>notice that despite having set ALL my products to be NON TAXABLE, when you
>hit the checkout page and UK is the shipping country, the VAT of 17.5% is
>still being added to the order.
>
>I followed the instructions found at this URL to the letter and everything
>works as expected, except for the tax:
>
>http://www.webmaint.net/interchange/uksetup.html
>
>Does anyone have any ideas why the tax settings for my products are being
>ignored and still being calculated for the UK by IC when it shouldn't be?
>
>It is my understanding that if the tax field is set to NO on an
>item/product, it should then be exempt from the tax calculations. Only
>those set to YES should be included. This doesn't appear to be the case.

Apologies for the silly question, but you *did* restart the daemon?

>Also, this tax setup is not quite right/comprehensive enough as UK VAT also
>applies to sales made to customers in EEC countries when selling from the
>UK. Is there any way I can get IC to use the REGION code (Europe-EC) rather
>than the individual COUNTRY codes and therefore cover all the EEC countries
>in one go? I'm trying to avoid putting a tax rule for each country as it
>seems there should already be a better method of dealing with this.

You only apply VAT to EC sales if the product is for personal use.
Otherwise, if the product/service is for business use then the customer
is liable for VAT. Rates vary across the EC, so you can't just have
one entry - put the rates into salestax.asc, with tax set to 'country'.

>Naturally this is assuming that I can get the initial tax calculation
>problem fixed first :o)
>
>If it helps, I'm using IC installed from these 2 rpms:
>
>interchange-foundation-4.8.6-1
>interchange-4.8.6-1
>
>Many thanks
>
>Mark