[ic] rewite rules killed images - and cookies

John Rennie interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Sep 26 16:23:00 2002

> Rewrite rules
>
>  >         RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule ^/$ /cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule
> ^/index\.html$/cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >        RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/vlink/.* - [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule ^/.*images/.* - [PT,L]
>  >        RewriteRule ^/(.*) /cgi-bin/vlink/$1 [PT,L]
>

> Does this affect the cookies?
>
>From my limited experience trying to do something similar, yes it does
affect cookies.
The cookie path is set in interchange.cfg, when you declare your
catalog. You should
be able to either add another alias, e.g.,

Catalog simple alias /

which will send another cookie (but at least one that should work), or
replace the
path in the Catalog declaration of your store. There's some caveats
about this path
being unique on your server unless you use FullURL directive as well.
(See the Catalog directive in icconfig.)

I'm on a shared host, so I can't confirm that this works, as it must be
changed in the
Interchange.cfg file. (Can it be overridden, anyone?)

You're also missing an important rule:
RewriteRule     ^robots.txt$ -               [PT,L]

Search engines look for this, and probably don't appreciate being sent
into the Interchange
store. I've never seen this mentioned in the mailing list before,
though, so maybe it
doesn't matter.

Hope this helps,

John.