[ic] howto do if file exists

Thu Apr 17 13:13:00 2003

Quoting Nicholas Cook (ncook@gryphon.net):

> I hadn't thought about using apache. I'll try that approach because I
> am talking about 20,000+ images.

Warning -- Apache can't repeal the laws of physics either. It still has
to do directory lookups just like IC does.

You will be much happier if you hash your directories (like IC does with
the session directory) and keep maximum entries down to a thousand or less.

If you have a lightly loaded server with plenty of available I/O bandwidth,
you may get away with it. But it would be the first place I look should
you have performance problems.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney