[ic] maintenance mode? and extra pooling idea (softgoods and travel call)

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Apr 25 14:44:01 2003

> >They did have something I wouldn't mind trying to do in IC. It was called
> >maintenance mode, and would allow you to put up a (I guess) site wide
> >redirect to a temporary maintenance page. and lets no customers sign up X
> >minutes prior... etc.
> >
> >What would be involved with something like this? I am guessing
> Apache would
> >be the force to coordinate with?? I don't have much knowledge in these
> >areas, but if I can have some hints/points to research on... I
> wouldn't have
> >to research transportation. (future invention being the wheel...)

[snip]

> I usually do this:
>
> 1. edit special_pages/missing.html to add the maintenance message.
> 2. mv pages pages.bak
> 3. mkdir pages (an empty pages directory)
>
> ...now every catalog page request ends up at missing.html, but
> the catalog
> is still up and the admin still works. You could probably use some
> combination of PageDir and SpecialPage directories in the catalog cfg to
> achieve the same thing. For that matter, you could put something
> like this
> in the *_TOP regions:
>
> [tmp page]@@MV_PAGE@@[/tmp]
> [if var MAINTENANCE_MODE]       # or is that [if variable...] ?
>          [if scratch page !~ /maintenance/]
>                  [bounce page=maintenance]
>          [/if]
> [/if]
>
> ...then just set MAINTENANCE_MODE to a non-blank value in the catalog.cfg
> and Apply Changes to go into maintenance mode.
>
> And yes, there are so many other ways...
>

> - Ed L.

Thanks Ed

Yes, I see. This gets me thinking. I will look into this, however I think I
may try and instead, leave the pages/* there, place your above *code* but
with additions of a bypass. So, it will instead require a custom var to view
every page, bouncing regular users to a "maintenance" page, and still
allowing the developers to log in (via maintenance page setting custom var)
and use the front end.

Thanks again

Paul