[ic] Shipping to different zip code

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Apr 30 17:20:00 2003

> Quoting Russell Mann (tech@khouse.org):
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using IC 4.8.3 and the default user database setup is klunky in regards
> > to the shipping and billing address.  The billing address should be the
> > primary information entered, and shipping information should only be entered
> > if it is separate.
>
> You make this statement without showing any evidence as to why anyone
> should agree with you.

The billing address should be the primary address and shipping address should be
changeable per order. For one this is how every order/invoice/shipping management
software is setup (Or that I have come across and one less thing to worry about when
connecting backoffice with online). And even more important when you consider the
following common scenerios,

	For B2B sites:
		With Billing as primary,
			Dealer has multiple locations
- Dealer could setup one account with the Billing info as the Primary Address
- Dealer simply uses his "address book" to select what locations he wishes to ship to
and place orders without logging into multiple accounts

		With Shipping as primary,
	Dealer has multiple locations
- Dealer would need to setup a different account for all locations
- Dealer would need to login to multiple accounts to place orders

	For B2C sites:
		With Billing as primary,
			Consumer wishes to send a gift to friend
- Consumer could setup one account with Billing info as the Primary Address
- Vendor simply uses his "address book" to select what locations he wishes to ship to
and place orders without logging into multiple accounts or changing his ship to
information

		With Shipping as primary,
			Consumer wishes to send a gift to friend
- Consumer would need to setup a different account every time he wishes to buy a gift
or to change his shipping info every time (defeating one of the benefits of an account)
- Dealer would need to login to multiple accounts to place orders

Most people/companies use one payment type and don't need to change the billing
address all the time, when ever their billing address changes they can just update the
account info.

I am not demanding that this be done right now or that it should be done for free or that
it should be done at all. If someone does it great, if someone doesn't do it no problem I
will eventually do this, but since I don't need this right away I am not worried about it. I
have to first setup a multimedia management system, then gift certificates, and then
affiliate reporting before I can worry about changing this.

Thanks for reading all this,
Gurs