[ic] Please Help!

jeff obranovich jeff at mooresmusicemporium.com
Fri Aug 8 06:56:11 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 14:56, dhenao at tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Are you gonna have your server on internet without any other workstations or servers?. If you are going to have more than one computer under the same connection, you will probably need a router. On the other hand, to have interchange running up on internet, you will probably need what you mentioned before. If your interchange server is going to be running all the services you need sendmail, http, https and ssh. The last one is optional for remote administration.

I have been using IC for about a year now, and I've gotten a lot of help
from this group over that year. Judging by your post, it sounds like
this might be your first IC server.  So, I thought that this might be my
chance to give something back to the community.  If I'm wrong about it
being your first server, sorry for the long post.  If not, I hope it
helps.

I have the same set-up RH v7.3 & IC v4.8.7.  Here's what I did.

1. Setup Apache rewrite parameters to redirect to www.mystore.com.
I have done this 2 different ways the easiest of which was to add
a line like this to httpd.conf

Redirect permanent /index.html http:/www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/mystore/
(no, it's not pretty, but it works)

2.  Install an SSL package. I need an SSL certificate.
In my case, the default installation of Apache included SSL with a self
signed certificate for localhost.localdomain.
If you can connect to https://localhost.localdomain then SSL is already
installed on your machine.
I obtained a chained SSL certificate from FreeSSL.com (not really free,
but darn close - $35 per. year)  The directions on their site where very
good, and I had no problems installing the new certificate.
After that, I only needed to change the general preferences
secure_enable variable in IC Admin to yes (1) and apply changes to get
IC running secure.

3.  Configure payment gateway (Authorize.net).
Our IC server is housed inside our "Brick and Mortar" store.
So, until traffic gets too heavy on our site, we are using PGP
encryption for our orders, and running them by hand on our in-store
terminal.  If you would want to do it this way, all you need to do is
create a key for the e-mail address that you wish your orders to be sent
to, add it to the key chain of the user who's name IC is running under,
then copy the key number to your pgp_key variable under Encryption in
the IC Admin.

4. I think I need to setup email on the HP server, so I can receive
customer feedback?
RH 7.3 comes with both Sendmail (default) & Postfix.  I have read that
Postfix is much easier to configure than Sendmail, but I had very little
trouble tweaking the default installation.
...had to comment out
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
...add FEATURE(`domaintable')
...add FEATURE(`genericstable')
and remove FEATURE(accept_unresolved_domains)

If you want to make it, and many other things, much easier, I suggest
you download and install Webmin.  I know that running another service on
your computer makes it that much less secure, but you can always shut it
down when it's not being used.

...presume I have a registered domain
Does this mean that you also have 2 Domain Name Servers?  You must list
2 DNSs to register your domain. Our DSL provider was supposed to give us
5 static IP addresses 2 of which were DNSs.  I thought that with that,
our server would get a CNAME listing on those DNSs.  I later found out
that I was wrong. The 2 DNSs were only for resolving outgoing requests.
So, I had a choice, configure BIND on 2 of my own servers, or lease a
couple of DNSs.  Fortunately since I only owned 1 server at the time, I
found ZonEdit.com listings on their servers are free for a limited
amount of bandwidth.

You should probably configure a firewall too.
We use a Cayman router with a built in firewall.

Again...hope this helps.

Good Luck!