[ic] Lazy posters (Was: Add new fields for the products)

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Aug 20 18:50:21 EDT 2003

> Ah yeah, that's right. Sorry, I forgot that one. I thought I read on a
> (backup maybe?) as well.
>
> Sorry about that, I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.
> Anyway, thanks.
>
> - Jason
>
> On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 04:46  PM, Paul Vinciguerra wrote:
>
> > I think you need to edit dbconf/<dbtype>/products.<dbtype> to reflect
> > the new
> > field.  Then you need to reconfig.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:49:12 -0400, Jason Lee wrote
> >> I think I'm correct in this and this pertains to what I've done to
> >> change my product table:
> >>
> >> 1. add the field in the db
> >> 2. add the field in the products/products.txt
> >>     - make sure, since this file is tab delim, that you add the
> >> appropriate tabs to the end of
> >>       existing products. also, (i think) the order in which fields
> >> is added has to match      in the db and this file
> >>
> >> I have done this on both MySQL and Postgres without any problems.
> >> I'm pretty sure you'll also have to restart Interchange so it will
> >> pick up the db change.
> >>
> >> Anyone correct me if I've mis-stated.
> >>
> >> - Jason

regularly sent to this list:

  1. Trim unnecessary text from your followups.  Did you really need
     to quote three sets of links to the listinfo page in your article?

  2. Post your followup text within some sort of context, i.e:

             Quoting user1 (<user1 at icdevgroup.org>):
             > Some limited text that will give context.

             Your reply.

     instead of:

             Your reply, lazily put at the top.

             Quoting user1 (<user1 at icdevgroup.org>):
             > A whole big blob of previous articles, including
             > signatures and all.

You'll find that, if you post properly, then more people will read
your articles and you may even get more responses.  I stop following
threads when people top-post their followups - even if the followup
is in response to one of my articles.  I know lots of others who do
the same.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz