[ic] Scratch??

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Fri Aug 22 15:14:31 EDT 2003

> Sorry for a dumb question, but does scratch variable mean?

Scratch variables are just variables you can define and use yourself. They
are persistent within the user's session so setting one on one page, you can
read it back on another. (unless you use [tmp])

[scratch] variables differ from [value] variables in that [value] can be set
through a form, whereas a scratch has to be set through ITL code.

You can set them with:

[set foo]my value[/set] - does not interpolate contents.
[seti foo]my ITL code[/seti] - interpolates contents.
[tmpn foo]ny value[/tmpn] - does not interpolate, deleted after page is
delivered.
[tmp foo]my ITL code[/tmp] - interpolates contents, deleted after page is
delivered.

and you can return it with:

[scratch foo] - returns it.
[scratchd foo] - returns it, then deletes it.

I hope that answers your question.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Clark