[ic] Production deployment methods

Jason Lee jason.lee at mac.com
Thu Aug 28 15:46:00 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm at the point in my IC (4.9.8) development where our soon to be
production server is being tested on a regular basis. Soon, this will
go live soon and I'll be relying on a staging server to make changes
and test with. Currently this machine is also running Samba so my Mac,
Linux, and Win machines can do various editing of my store files. For
production, this will obviously be turned off.

Coming from, mostly, the Java world, this is accomplished by taking the
web app and performing a hot-deploy it on the app server. But IC is a
different system and therefore I'm trying to figure out the best way to
deploy. It will be ok if the server needs to go down for a few mins.

I'd like to be able to edit locally on my machine and push to the prod
machine or even edit a local network dev server and then test and then
push to prod. I was thinking about rsync'ing from a stage machine to
the prod machine, but I would really prefer to use some sort of SSH or
SCP to get changes out to that prod  machine since if I was ever
remote, this would work nicely - I wouldn't be just tied to my local
network to make changes in other words. Nor would other possible
contributors.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or examples they've used? I'm sure
some have come across this issue.
Like I said, in the Java world, we used CVS to check out our code base
on a stage machine and if it passed, then we'd archive the app and push
out the prod using various scripts that contained SCP/SSH commands in
them. So something like this would be ideal for me, but I'd like to get
others input before I embark on this.

TIA,

- jason