[ic] Performance issues with i18n

Thomas Weiss pater.noster at gmx.net
Wed Dec 3 12:45:40 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'm building an internationalized catalog with Interchange 4.9.9 and the
locale based database mappings as found in the foundation catalog. My
problem is that as soon as the mappings are used (by using a locale
other than the default) everything gets terribly slow. The reason is the
way Vend::Table::Shadow applies the mappings when querying the database.

For example when using the foundation catalog's data and database mapping
settings it takes about 80 sql queries to build the category menu (with
the category_vertical component) when using the default locale (no
mappings in use, no Vend::Table::Shadow), but with a non-default locale
in use it takes about 950 sql queries to do the same, which is IMHO way
too much to be efficient.

So, have I missed something? Is there an alternative way to do
internationalisation of the catalog data in Interchange? How are others
doing it besides throwing fat hardware at the problem?

Thomas