[ic] Interchange and sendmail

doug1 at ultimatepassage.com doug1 at ultimatepassage.com
Thu Dec 4 21:15:40 EST 2003

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  I'm running interchange 4.9.9 on an AMD
opteron using Gentoo Linux.  The system is running Apache/2.0.48
(Gentoo/Linux) mod_perl/1.99_10 Perl/v5.8.2 mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.7c.
Due to some problems compiling sendmail in pure 64bit mode (I have no 32
bit libs on this system), I'm using ssmtp instead of sendmail.

/usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail is smybolically linked to
/usr/sbin/ssmtp.  Now here's where it gets interesting.  When the customer
places an order, the order copy gets sent to the customer as expected but
the encrypted copy of the order appears in the interchange error log with
the following message:
66.92.11.157 rDMWEXi2:66.93.10.157 - [04/December/2003:17:42:05 -0500]
cart /cgi-bin/cart/process.html Unable to send mail using
/usr/sbin/sendmail
> To: webuser
> Subject: ORDER 0014
>
>....rest of encrypted e-mail.

Now before I go do something silly that I'll reget in the future (such as
parsing the error log for e-mail and re-sending it), are there any hard
dependency requirements that require sendmail?  I find it interesting that
interchange has no problems using ssmtp to send the customer copy but
obviously does something different for encrypted version.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce