[ic] Using MyODBC to update MySQL tables

Joshua Lavin joshua at kingdomdesign.com
Mon Dec 8 08:01:43 EST 2003

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 07:32  PM, Ed LaFrance wrote:

> At 05:31 PM 12/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>> We're changing the way we update our products database. The old way
>> was to upload a new products.txt and remove products.sql. The new way
>> we're trying is using MyODBC to do updates on the products database
>> directly. This is really helpful for us since we are syncing
>> Interchange with a point-of-sale system, and updates are a lot
>> smaller than sending the whole file each night.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there could be any problems with using this method.
>> Say the update fails halfway, is products going to be ruined?
>>
>> Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
>
> I've had one or two clients do this and they never reported a problem
> with it. If you enable logging in the MyODBC control panel, you'll see
> that is it simply issuing SQL statements to your server, and I would
> assume there is ak-start-end-ak stuff around each one, so I think your
> are pretty well covered as far as individual records go - but that is
> not from first-hand experience.
>
> - Ed L.

Thanks Ed and Doug. Sounds pretty safe, but I will be backing up the
database, just in case. :)

Ed, with your clients doing this, do you export products to the text
file at all? (Admin -> Tables -> Export) I did this to start out with,
and it generates the files for my indices as well. I'm just wondering
if this is something I should do regularly. (Maybe those are only for
file-based searches?)

Josh