[ic] Images and the Admin UI

Philip S. Hempel pshempel at linuxhardcore.com
Fri Dec 12 08:51:55 EST 2003

I am using 5.0 pre cvs
Non-threaded perl 5.8.1

Here is my dilemma, we have a number of products that use the same
image.

Problem we have is in 4.9/5.0 the UI has changed in some way that allows
an upload of zero bit file essentially overwriting the original file or
zeroing out the file.

What we do to cause this is to upload the image into one item, then edit
additional items placing the same image name into the image of the other
products that use it.

Is there some way to remedy this? It really would be nice to tell the UI
at least not to attempt an upload for the image and to use an existing
image.

The only way I have been able to keep this from happening for our store
is to change the files ownership to root:root or something other than
the stores user.

I know that I can change the UI in some way to work like the UI did in
the 4.6 era for our system alone, but I don't think I am the only one
that would run into this same difficulty.

The function something like selecting

use existing image: yes no

if yes offer image choices from the server or input filename, if not
that at least allow entering a filename that would not place a post into
the request.

if no allow upload choices

This would then help to get rid of that empty post that occurs when
changing the image name, as long as the person who edits the product
remembers to choose the correct option.

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome.

Philip S. Hempel