[ic] 5.0.0 Upgrade - Merge Metadata?

frank frank at goldissue.com
Mon Dec 29 10:55:40 EST 2003

music at labyrinth.net.au wrote:

>Am in the process of upgrading some catalogues to 5.0.0 that have been
>running nicely under 4.8.7
>
>Have followed the UPGRADE instructions and all appears well.
>
>However the 'Merge Metadata' process in the new UI is a little confusing.
>
>Is there some more specific info about this process somewhere? (Have done a
>fair amount of searching.)
>
>How dangerous is it to 'Merge All' for older foundation catalogues?
>
>When comparing data to merge what does it mean if the new value is 'Table'
>the older value is 'text'? What if I merge these values? What else would I
>need to look at updating?
>
>What type of things should not be merged and left as is?
>
>Thanks!

Just jump into it man. It's not that bad. I remember having to create an
extra field or two in mv_metadata.asc.

Not sure about the text question.

Actually I have made so many modifications (like my own metatag
structure in the templates) that I prefered to backup my old sites
somewhere, rebuild each site using makecat. I then (using scripts or
manually) copy important files over - but only as necessary to avoid
replacing better? and newer code.

In fact I redid this recently and recreated 4 sites in one hour. It
requires care, understanding and attention to detail.

I created my own usertag for use in Australia, and this broke during the
upgrade. I guess it depends how much your own 'improvements' are in
harmony with the developers' intentions.

I have tried to automate everything with scripts, but have found that a
big jump like this needed thought and attention to each section.

You can't avoid the steps in the upgrade though, you just need to do it,

Hope that is useful.

Frank.