[ic] [calc] vs. [perl]

Fri Feb 7 12:54:00 2003

Quoting Aaron Hazelton (aaronmail@hazenet.net):
>  Ryan Grace wrote:
> > When would I use [calc] vs. [perl]?  I've seen calc
> > used to enclose large blocks of perl code which seems
> > tp blur the distinction between the two tags.
> >

> I believe the main difference is that [calc] automatically
> interpolates IC tags, whereas [perl] does not.  Someone
> can correct me if there is more to it.

[calc] has lower overhead, basically. You can't open tables with
an argument, and you can't specify that subs be inherited with
the subs=1 argument. Other than that, they are much the same.

By default, [calc] does interpolate the container code. [calcn] is
available in IC 5 to not do that, and you can always do
[calc interpolate=0].

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Any man who is under 30, and is not liberal, has not heart; and any man
who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has not brains.
 -- Winston Churchill