[ic] Auto-create of user failed pt 2

Cameron interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Feb 9 03:25:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Jordan" <paul@gishnetwork.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 1:33 PM
Subject: RE: [ic] Auto-create of user failed pt 2

> > I'm still having major issues with auto-creation of users from
> > log_transaction. Here's my error message.
> >
> > 203.59.203.83 TCqScGsN:203.14.169.19 - [08/February/2003:03:38:52 -0500]
> > store /cgi-bin/store/process Safe: Auto-create of user failed. at (eval
> > 1395) line 1.
> > >
> > >  die errmsg("Auto-create of user failed.");
> > >
> [snipped]
>
> Cameron,
>
> Can this be related to your appended \r you were experiencing? It sounds
> like something has seriously gone wrong/ or you doing something wrong when
> you are editing the files. Is this foundation? If it is I don't understand
> why these two generic functions have gone haywire on you. If it were me I
> would just hire a consultant for a 1/2 hour to take a look around your
> catalog.
>
> I hope I don't offend you by saying that, it is just that you have not
> indicated that you have strayed wildly off the foundation demo, so if the
> (log_transaction appending \r) and the auto creation of users is falling
> apart on you, I think there is a root your problems, maybe with the
methods
> you are using to edit the files. Check all your files for carriage
returns.
> If you rid yourself of them be careful as some may be there for a reason,
so
> don't do it recursively (directories), but most don't need to be there.
>
> Also, even though you are using ssh and an linux editor, I *think that if
> you are pasting from a windows app into say vi, the carriage returns can
> still be present. I could be wrong. Did you ever fix your appending \r
> issue? Is it possible that the appending \r is in the form itself
<inputs>,
> a formatting issue copied over from Windows? I remember you saying that
> there were none in log_transaction...
>
> However, If you have strayed wildly from foundation then you will have to
> post more code.
>
> Paul

I actually have strayed from the foundation cart - i built this site from
scratch. I did use some of the stuff in foundation as a guideline though ;)
The \r issue was on a different site to this one though, and yes, i did
manage to fix that, by force converting the file to dos mode in vi, then
converting it back to unix. a normal :se ff=unix by itself didn't help.
weird.

anyway, yeah, this is a different site, although it's based on the exact
same configuration as the other two - both of which are working fine. I've
been editing files in this fashion (ie, using vi via ssh sessions) for years
now. it's never really been an issue before. what i imagine happened to get
those \r's in there on the other site is that i edited the file locally, in
between when i'd downloaded it from the dev box and uploaded it to the live
site. i've been known to make a few last changes locally before ;)

the thing is, i can't understand what there even *IS* within interchange
that i could get wrong that would break this. I *know* this particular issue
isn't related to carriage returns, because i also tried the tag in it's perl
form, ie, return $Tag->userdb({function => "new_account", assign_username =>
1, password => "123", verify => "123"}); No carriage returns in there to
break it. Still did the same thing - returned nothing (ie, it didn't work),
yet didn't report anything in the error log.

Who knows what module this stuff is in? Maybe i can get my hosting provider
to turn on debugging. I can't see that there's even anything else in a
typical site that i could get wrong that would break this though, that's
what's got me a little stumped.