[ic] Wanted: Support Group

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Feb 13 16:55:00 2003

At 12:37 PM 2/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>It is pretty obvious to me that there needs to be a separation between the
>advanced technical discussions going on here and a mail group for those
>people wanting to ask more simple questions about say, setup issues. There
>are enough geeks around that enjoy helping people with simple problems
>that would allow a beginners group to function and be of real assistance.
>But in this group it is obviuosly uncool to help those new to Interchange,
>an ego phenomenon that takes place in a lot of programming support groups
>like this. Do I think it is going to happen. No, obviously the problem
>stems from whoever has this setup. It is I am sure an extension of whoever
>created this program yet failed to take the time to produce any setup
>documentation.

I only found one other post by you in my archive, so I'll assume that this
is the question that you asked and didn't get answered.  I would like to
help you understand why I, personally didn't respond to your message.

 >Can someone give me a quick hint on how to get options such as small,
 >medium, large, to stay selected throughout the purchase. Or direct me to
 >the documentation on this that I have missed?
 >
 >Currently I can easily create options, but the cart immediately forgets
 >what is selected by the customer and remembers only the top selection or
 >whatever is set as the default.

That question, as you wrote it, has been asked and answered
before.  Notwithstanding, did you ...

  * Try it out on a fresh installation and see if it works by default? (It
does.)
  * Try it out on the demo site to see if it works? (It does.)
  * Search the mailing list archives for similar questions?

I think you would have found some help by doing the above, but neither did you:

  * Say what version you were using
  * What modifications you made to the source
  * What option type, and/or data you've entered
  * Whether you input the options directly into the table?
  * Post a snippet of self-contained code that exhibits the problem.

This kind of information is useful.  Since options do work out of the box
on 4.8.x (even staying in the cart), I think it's likely that something you
did to the code or database is causing it to function incorrectly.  If you
did, you could have either started from a working version (or template), or
looked in the archives for the other times that people have needed to
customize the options code.

If you are wondering why I didn't respond to this earlier, it's because I
get depressed saying the same thing over and over to users who don't follow
the correct troubleshooting steps.  Suggested reading:

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:Rx-raoTa3JUC:www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html+&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_es&ie=UTF-8

Good day,
Dan

--