[ic] return section of text that contain search term

Thu Jan 2 14:43:00 2003

Quoting Aaron Hazelton (aaronmail@hazenet.net):
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to return a section of text in context around a
> search term.  I am wondering if anyone has done this.  I
> could have sworn I had seen something like this before on
> an earlier version of the ICDEV site, but maybe not.  What
> I am going for is something similar to what Google does
> on their results, only not as jazzy -- I just do not want to
> return the whole db value as it may be quite long ....
>
> Has anyone done this?  Any ideas on it? input? direction?

This was done on ICDEV with Glimpse, which had a function to
extract a portion of a document when indexing. (Swish++ has
something similar, but I haven't taken the time to set up the
indexing for it.)

You would need to do this yourself. Seeing as how you have access to any
data you can key in to in an Interchange search list, it should not be
trouble to do efficiently with a simple [item-sub ...] [item-exec ...]
combination.

If you are talking about a file search ala Swish, you would need
to read its docs and figure out how to include it in the index.
IC's Swish module does allow keying into arbitrary elements, but
I doubt there are many examples out there.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun