[ic] How to add a subscriber-based reminder service?

Gerry Kirk interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jan 8 15:14:00 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 14:22, D Zhang - msi wrote:
> > 1. how to provide a means for users to sign up? this could be part of an
> > online account signup, but I'd also like to make it easy to sign up with
> > minimal info
>
> add an option in mailing list  in account record.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean create a field called mailing_list or
something? What if users can sign up for multiple mailing lists? Would I
have to create a column each time?

I'm wondering how to actually record the sign-up, i.e. what code is
needed. Then, once stored, to send a confirmation email message and also
display something on the screen.

I need a little more depth!

> > 3. how to access the db via a cron job to email out the reminders?
>
> setup your products and order db in mysql, write a script which can be
> called by cron job.

Fair enough. I see in the latest version, one can download a script to
do this.

> > 4. how to process the links in the reminder email?
>
> write a script that will update your db records and bring up an order page
> when needed. Your customer will then make final decision on what and how
> many to order.

Some suggestions for developing such a script?
> It's a complete automation solution, interacting with interchange.

Sure. It'll be nice when it's done. As a newbie, I'm still feeling my
way in the dark, though.
- Gerry

> David

Gerry Kirk