[ic] How to create mailing lists?

Gerry Kirk interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jan 9 08:51:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 04:08, Jonathan Clark wrote:

> > > WRT what is there, people automatically add themselves to them as they
> > > check out, providing you have the mail list functionality enabled on the
> > > checkout page. You can do that by setting the variable
> > > CHECKOUT_MAIL_LIST in catalog.cfg or variable.txt.
> > >
> > Only at checkout is possible? What if I want users to be able to sign up
> > from the home page, without buying anything? Or when submitting an email
> > via a form?
> >

> Yes. The user can edit their preferences using the customer services section
> once they have logged in.

What if I don't want users to have to create an account in order to sign
up for a promotional newsletter? Many sites do that now (see oreck.com
for example). Signing up for a newsletter is a one step process: enter
e-mail address, select format (optional) and click on "Sign Up". Or, is
this an example of an account where the e-mail address is the login id,
and no password is needed?

That aside, I'm still not clear on how the mailing lists got created and
recognized by Interchange in the first place. The demo has four listed:
Special Offers, Newsletter, Alerts and Recalls, Upgrades. Here are my
questions:

1. How did those mailing lists get created? For my own site, do I have
to do that myself, outside of Interchange?
2. If the mailing lists are part of another program, how does
Interchange know about them? Where is the part in Interchange where I
can add/delete mailing lists? I'm not talking about signing up customers
here.
3. If the mailing lists are part of another program, how does
Interchange send an e-mail to the list, and restrict others from doing
so?

Thanks for your patience,
Gerry

--