[ic] Talking about cPanel -- possible to make a deal?

Jon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jan 15 21:38:01 2003

    Yes, this is on the top but justified. I wanted to begin by saying I
didn't bring up the cPanel issue this time :))  Just adding my 2 cents.

> Suggestion to icdevelgoup:
>
> To what I can see, there are 3 main problems when interchange is under
> cPanel:
>
> 1.    permition settings of files

Isn't that a cPanel configuration issue ? Or rather the configuration of file
permissions
when the cart is created or some time like that. In any case should be easy to
resolve.

> 2.    unable to use the restart command by a cart user

This can be done at the hosting company pretty simply I believe.
Possibly as a separate script.  I've seen it as an added feature to the
restart section of the 'Web Host Manager' tool... don't know anything
about that tool though.

> 3.    UI not accessible to users.

It is accessible to the owners of the shopping cart with cart permissions.
Not sure what you mean here.

> Is it possible that icdevelgroup negotiates with cPanel to make a deal?
>
> There is advantage of this.
>
> 1    cPanel does make the interchange more popular
> 2    cPanel has good control on collecting license fee.
>
> If a deal can be reached, say $0.10 or $0.20 or so per month per
> installation of cPanel goes to icdevelgroup, and the two parties work
> together to solve the main problems to certern extend, it may be good to
> both sides. icdevelgroup can use the fund to do many things, say: working
> out a hard copy manuel, have some one working full time for coordinating the
> integration, etc.
>
> Just an idea to make things better. I don't know if it may or may not be
> practical. Or, even it's tried already.

    Of course I would not be in a position to comment to the above section

Jon