[ic] suid makecat

Stefan Hornburg interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jan 17 14:40:01 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:30:41 -0800
"interch" <interch@valley-internet.com> wrote:

> The way we automated our catalog setups, and a lot of other setups, is to
> run a setup daemon  under daemontools as root that queries a database every
> few minutes.  If there is an entry in the database with setup information
> for the catalog, run makecat with the correct options as root, flag the
> database that the account was setup.  Makes the setup on the server easy no
> hassles with any suid scripts, and makes integrating with pretty much any
> type of front end easy.

We use a similar setup for our hosting services and it is nice way to integrate
things together. Some servers like Exim need no further setup, they can draw
all informations from the database, others might need the generation of directories,
configurations etc. Keeping all informations in a database is very useful
for a multi-user/mulit-server setup.

Bye
     Racke