[ic] GPG Encryption permission Problem

C.B. Currier interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jan 23 10:30:00 2003

James P. Kinney III said:
> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 07:14, C.B. Currier wrote:
>> Any suggestions on the error I keep finding in the scratch directory
>> every time an order is placed? I also do not see the encryption
>> actually taking place on the order.
>>
>> gpg: fatal: /root/.gnupg: can't create directory: Permission denied
>> secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/16384
>
> This looks like Interchange may be trying to access the root directory
> as it's own. Double check the /etc/passwd file and make sure that the
> interchange user (typically interch) is NOT trying to use the /root/
> directory as it's home. It would be much better to have as it's home
> directory /var/lib/interchange  (on a redhat system installed with
> rpm's).

I have taken a look to see if that was the problem.  Turns out that the
interch home folder is /var/lib/interchange.  There is a .gnupg folder
created when I imported the key for my mail account.

Any other place that Interchange might be configured to try to runas root
or a place where a default home folder might be set?

C.B.