[ic] Re: Adding new Menu items, and Restarting Interchange from Cpanel

ICTech interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jan 24 10:59:00 2003

-- ICTech <ictech@computamerica.com> wrote:
> > I am using Interchange version 4.9.3 with Cpanel version 5.  I was
> > able to edit the template files through File Manager while logged into
Cpanel
> > however the changes did not reflect on my cart yet, I think because I
have
> > not restarted Interchange.  I know this is a touchy subject, but is
there
> > any way to restart Interchange through Cpanel, without having to
reinstall
> > Interchange and starting from scratch?

---Quoting Thanh Luong---
> restarting interchange is a common thing to do and it simply means that
> you need to reset the interchange daemon so it will search the new
> changes.  Many times you can just hit the "apply changes" link at the
> bottom of the AdminUI and that tells the interchange server to look for
> new changes.
> However you should ask your Host to give you access to restart the
> interchange server because you never know when you will need it. there
> are several ways this can be accomplished. Ask your host to make a
> "restart interchange server" button on your CPanel menu.
> Or give you SSH access plus Interchange root user access(most likely to
> be cpanel or interch in your case) so you can go in and type

/etc/rc.d/init.d/orwhaterverdirectory_the_restart_command_is_in/interchange/
restart.

> Good Luck,
> Tom

Thank you so much Tom.  I have contacted my hosting company, they currently
do not have the tool for me to restart Interchange, and I don't think I
would be able to wait for them to restart it for me everytime I need to.  I
really love to use Interchange and I have been happy with my hosting company
until now.  They also have another shopping cart called Agora.cgi, I am
looking at this in the meantime to see if it would serve my purpose, which
basically would require the users to login, and for me to be able to modify
the menu to point to additional pages.   If this doesn't work, then I might
have to change hosting companies.  Any suggestions?