[ic] Installation Woes.

Joshua Lavin joshua at kingdomdesign.com
Fri Jul 18 07:29:53 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 09:43  AM, jp at nuance9.com wrote:

>>> Is root access required to install?
>
>> No, certainly not. But make sure that your ISP allows running daemons
>> by customers.
>
> Ok.  I'm going to run through the install and list the things that
> come up.  Hopefully
> someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

[snipped]

> 	It appears that it is attempting to untar
> Parse-RecDescent-1.94.tar.gz and fails.

I'm not sure what this means.

> I cd to the new directory and run bin/makecat
> and enter the default values supplied
>
> 	"warning: locate: could not open database:
> /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
> 	Permission denied"
> 	"warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create
> the
> 		database."

You don't have permission to build the database. This is likely due to
your shared hosting account.

> I am prompted for the path to httpd.conf, I am not sure so I leave it
> blank.

Your host will know.

You forgot to mention what IC you're trying to install. I've installed
IC on a shared host, but it was a special type, known as a virtual
server. This allowed me to run daemons, and I had my own copy of
apache, mysql, etc, but everything was under my home directory.

Your host may not be a virtual server, and so you'd have to ask them to
install IC for you. (Good luck.)

There are many good people on the Interchange-biz list who host IC. You
could also try a virtual server, and install it yourself. I personally
used Verio, and I think they have a 30-day free trial:
http://www.viaverio.com/ .

Regards,
Josh