[ic] Authorizenet payment module (modifications)

John Young interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 6 14:31:01 2003

Philip S. Hempel wrote:

>> Why not use "|" as the delimiter and no field encapsulation?  That
>> strategy should (I think) only entail the following:
>
> This works perfect, never did I think about the second line issue with
> IC actually placing the comma in between the two address lines.
>
> I see this at least does what I am looking for, and am able to parse the
> data correctly.

Good.  Just in time for the weekend :-)

> I am off to get the rest of the error codes put into the module. I
> already have the fields from IC mapped in for standard E-Checks, I am
> not sure where to even start with getting IC to use live verification
> for E-Checks (I hope it already will, but not my luck).

Carefully consider whether you even need to do this.  Read your
payment gateway documentation.  Then read it again.  For B2B (ie,
repeat orders, established relationship), E-Checks are good;
however, I'm not sure they are worthwhile for all cases of B2C
online.  Regarding the latter case, I believe:
  * Far fewer customers will use a check instead of credit card.
  * Customers are more likely to have trouble w/routing #, account #, etc.
  * More personal data is required (an SS# or driver's license #).
  * E-Checks are settled a little differently -- I vaguely recall
    them taking longer, and perhaps not giving immediate feedback
    about sufficient funds.  You'll have to double-check this.

> Give a man a fish and he will feed himself for a day.
 > Teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime.

Teach a man Perl, and he can do rapid development of automated fishing
applications.

John Young