[ic] Getting started...

Patrick Galbraith interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Jun 9 14:31:01 2003

Hello,

I just installed Interchange for the first time, and am feeling a little
lost. My background - I worked on the core Slash development team, so I'm
accustomed to how we coded things, and created the documentation, and how
we put Slash out in such a way that it was fairly simple for new users.

What I'm trying to get with Interchange is a big picture of things. Most
of the documentation seems to jump right into specifics of the system.
Also, I looked for various bits of info that I thought would be basic
getting-started-type information, and can't seem to find it. Such as:
What is the overall setup of the codebase? Is it mod-perl or CGI? (seems
to be CGI, but I think there's even more to it) What is the design of
Interchange? What components are there from a high level? What
modifications, if any, do I need to put in my httpd.conf? How can I run
this site as a virtual domain, or run any additional site as a virtual
domain? How can I set up the admin password? Why does the user database
store passwords in clear text?

I'm sorry if these questions are all answered somewhere and I'm
overlooking the obvious. It's just with the way that all the documentation
is presented on the main site is different than what I'm used to. The
'explode tree' and 'collapse tree' links do nothing for me, and I've tried
these links on MSIE and Mozilla.

Thanks in advance for any direction that anyone can provide!

---
Patrick Galbraith Senior Software
Developer pgalbraith@classmates.com
patg@patg.net capttofu@slashdot.org