[ic] query tag usage (solved)

Interchange User interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jun 11 07:11:01 2003

>>> Tried it, but got the same results.  It seems to find the data that I
>>> want, but I just can't get it to display.
>>
>> And did you try my reply which said to use [sql-param] instead of
>> [sql-field]?

Changing my results code to

         Match:[sql-param authordisplay] [sql-param articleid]
[sql-param authorship]<br>

works like a charm.

> I didn't notice the [sql-field] usage.  Yes - try [sql-param].  Also,
> do the following:
>
>   1. List your columns instead of using '*' (for efficiency).  Why
>      select and transfer the entire row when you only need to use
>      a couple of columns?

Thanks, but I need all the columns, in this case.  Okay, not in this
specific case, since I was just trying to get the bloody thing working,
but in the end I will. :)

>   2. Use lower-case column names.  MixedCaseColumnNames are ugly and
>      are not supported by DBI.  You can use underscores to separate
> words
>      in column names if you need to.  For instance, use "article_id"
>      instead of "articleID".

That is what made the difference.  I had previously tried sql-param,
from one of the examples, but the mixed-case column names is what threw
off the results.  I can't claim credit for the design though - I'm
using an existing database that my client has me working on.

Thank you Jonathan and Kevin (and anyone else that I may have missed)!

Peter