[ic] Sub-catategories to sub-category on Category menu

Frank Drummond interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 20 13:16:00 2003

Christian,

I would very much like to see your code for this.  I'm in the process of
putting a site together and I see this as one of my biggest hurtles.
Lack of an Admin interface is not a concern for me.  It sounds like
exactly what I need.

THX,
Frank Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Brink [mailto:cbrink@schmidy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 12:17 PM
To: interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Cc: m-list@pugmarks.com
Subject: Re: [ic] Sub-catategories to sub-category on Category menu

> Can anyone please guide me on the following setup I wanna have on Left
> side categories:
>
> * Category1
>     -> Sub-Cat1
>         ->Sub-Sub-cat1
>         ->Sub-Sub-cat2

I have a module and schema for this. It uses a nested set to give
arbitrary levels of category depth and then relate that to products. It
does not yet have an admin interface. I was planning on releasing it
once
the admin interface is done, but I can send yoiu the code I have now.

> Also can we have just graphic images instead of Text matter as
category
> links.

I would recommend against this for a few of reasons.
1. Creating graphics on the fly and making them look consistantly good
with Image::Magick or other perl graphic modules is a non-trivial task.
2. Even if you keep you images small you have increased the size of your
web page and increased the download and rendering time. Any ecommerce
web
site should initially load in less than 4 seconds.
3. Almost all the text effects you want on a navigation bar can be done
with style sheets. If you want a text effect that style sheets can not
do
you most likely do not want that effect. Navigation should be simple to
use and simple to read.

Christian Brink