[ic] No Shipping Charges -- What happens if UPS lookup fails?

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Mar 12 00:10:01 2003

> We have a couple of orders in a store (sequentially) that did not have
> shipping charged.  Our only shipping methods are UPS items (ground,
> next day, two day, three day).
>
> One of the items shows a shipping method of () and the other of NsNu()
> both with a charge of $0.00.
>
> What would cause such an error?  There are no errors related to these
> orders in either the catalog error log or the system error log.
>
> The only thing that occurs to me is that the UPS lookup failed and
> nothing was charged.  Is this possible?  What should happen?
>
> Has anybody else seen this type of behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Kerner

I have no direct experience with live UPS lookups but I make a point to
not rely on external servers for images, counters or anything else. In
my experience the use of remote servers can slow and/or break things. I
prefer to keep all functions local and I use internal UPS lookups. It is
a tad more work but I feel more comfortable.

DB